Sunday, April 26, 2009

RAINBOWS for Nothando

Greetings, this will be short as it is quite late again. This morning I was awakend by a call, I THOUGHT our caregiver for Nomusa (Grace) now in the government hospital, Fikile, I thought she was sick. I was worried about Nothando getting her TB meds, she had been released Friday from McCords the Christian Hospital after a 5 day stay, and appeared to be doing much better. I was a bit worried as she was in a home with about 8 small children but they were caring neighbors.

I called Prince to tell him I thought Fikile was sick throwing up and running stomach, but he was just dialing me. He said she figured I didn't understand her, as the news was that the baby had passed away. I was shocked! We had taken her to the other hospital where her mom was and we wheeled the mom out to see for herself how Nothando was doing. Both mom and baby seemed good, I hope to attach a picture taken in the lobby of the two of them.

Have you ever been so glad you did something? Well taking the time to take the baby there was the best thing we did. I actually sat there and thanking the Lord and thinking this was going to be a happy ending both would recover for a bit longer.

But now on this cool and cloudy and rainy day, I made my drive up to the township, embraced Fikile, she is such a great caregiver, we greeted the neighbors and waited for her brother to come. Then we went in to see the baby. I have seen lots of death in this line of work, but never a three month old little girl. I was grateful it was dark and there was no electricity.

Prince went to a church where the Pastor is a mortician and negotiated the rate (you see they have no funeral policy and no job even the brother is without a job, so no money to bury the baby). Rl000 a bit over a $l00 US. Phew! We left the brother to wait with the body for the hurst, and the neighbors went to town getting the house in order and the yard trimmed so with a sickle so the hurst could come in.

Prince, Fikile and I loaded into the car to go to the hospital to tell the mom. I was DREADING IT, When we got there, the nurse said, not to tell her. She was so weak, they were afraid she couldn't handle it now and her mourning would upset the ward. Well it was different, but honestly I was relieved...we will go back Tuesday and she will get a pass to go home and we will tell her then, and the funeral will be Wed. We think she might sense it in her spirit as she was so good Friday and today so sick again.

It was hard...we then drove the brother to inform a few relatives.
But through it all, I sensed the presense of the Lord so strong.
We couldn't promise to pay the funeral, but we got a break.
The neighbors were so grateful for the medical help they both got,
I was amazed at the neighbors pitching in and serving...it spoke so much to me of community and what that looks like.

As we drove the brother and an aunt back to the "shack", we saw a HUGE rainbow over Ntuzuma.... then a double one, whenever we turned a curve there it was. Always in front of us. I think I know what "chasing rainbows is". I said... maybe Nothando is learning to color! They were the biggest rainbows I'd ever seen and vibrant.

I guess all I can say tonight is Thank You Lord for loving us, Thank you for life, no matter how long, you gave that little girl life, and you knew she probably couldn't have handled all the strong ARV's she would start come Monday morning. She is with you Lord and you Love the Little Children. We trust you to comfort those that mourn and be with Nomusa...give her the Grace, she is named for. Thank you for your Promises and the beauty you create around us when we can be in the darkest storms, you Shine Through!

1 comment:

Lisa S said...

Penny,

Each time I read of your daily goings on, I am filled with peace for you (not that I don't pray for you! :). Although the enemy is definitely hating what you are doing for all of those precious people, you are so where He would have you, for such a time as this.
You will have to print your blog out so you can convert it to a journal to be published. So many folks would be blessed by it.
Sending you love, prayers, and hugs!... until we meet again...
Love,
Lise